Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cast Day! Cast 2


Greetings and a Reminder:

I write this blog as we go through ET Mehta Casting with our daughter Olivia. The blog is intended to inform, possibly inspire, and raise awareness of Infantile Scoliosis and its treatment/cure. Please share our story. For more information please check out http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/ 

Today Olivia received her second corrective torso cast for her infantile scoliosis. She was amazing! I couldn't be more proud of her. Last night we had a super fun bath and plenty of squishy cuddle time. It's like a special treat we have to look forward to every two months. 








We arrived at the hospital at 7:15 sharp for her 8:45 casting. We went straight to Day Surgery and within 15 minutes we were in our little holding tank. We met with the anesthesiology team and Dr. G, picked her cast color (orange), and we were ready to go. I mentioned my concerns about her IV and her belly button. They said they would put the IV in her hand, and add extra moleskin to her belly button area. Dr. G said that her skin looked amazing, especially for a child with such fair skin. He also confirmed that all x-rays will be in cast until the year point. This is done to minimize unnecessary    x-raying, and he feels that she will need the year. He hopes to have her in a brace come the summer. Fingers crossed. Sure enough we were on our way in to the casting room at 8:45. I have to say that they are wonderful when it comes to scheduling! 







We went into the casting room together so I could sit with her during sedation and we got to ride in via mobile bed. She was very brave letting them put the mask on her bear, on me, and then on her. Once it was really on her though, she was not very pleased. They asked me to sing to her and I couldn't get through "You Are My Sunshine" without breaking. I don't think that part will ever get easier. I know she's scared and there's nothing you can do about it. I just can't help but feel bad in that moment in time. I'm fine once I'm out of there. 

Bri and I hung out in the waiting room and Dr. G came in 45 minutes later to tell us that she did great and that she's pretty straight in the cast. Fifteen minutes later we were with her in recovery. She was still out when we got there. Everyone was admiring her adorable Gymboree outfit I had laid out for her to wear. She woke up within ten minutes smoothly and without tears. She drank her apple juice, we dressed her and we were on our way. 




We got home from Boston close to 1. Olivia slept from that time until about quarter of 5. When she got up we taped up her cast with her new candy corn tape. I didn't get a chance to take pictures of her new cast, but I promise to and I will post them tomorrow. We went out to dinner to celebrate, came home and played and she is now sleeping peacefully. I just can't get over how resilient she is. She did not need a single drop of pain medication nor did she show any complaint. Brian and I are truly blessed to have a daughter as amazing and as strong as her. New pics tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment