Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bibs, Clothes and Undershirt Cleaning


Greetings and a Reminder:

I write this blog as we go through ET Mehta Casting with our daughter Olivia. The blog is intended to inform, possibly inspire, and raise awareness of Infantile Scoliosis and its treatment/cure. Please share our story. For more information please check out http://www.infantilescoliosis.org/ 

I tried cleaning the collar and underarms of Olivia's undershirt today. This was not a pleasurable experience for either of us. She hated every second of it and fought me the whole time. If anyone has any good suggestions on a more pleasant way of doing this please let me know. Here is what I did. I kept Olivia in her high chair so she couldn't run away from me. First, I wetted a facecloth and lathered in some Cetaphil. Then, making sure the facecloth was only damp, I scrubbed the dirty areas. Next I rinsed the facecloth really well and did my best to get the soap residue out of the shirt. Finally, I blow dried the damp spots of the shirt on a cool setting. 

The collar looks a little better, but I'm nervous I didn't get all the soap out. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Please, share your stories and thoughts on this. The help will be greatly appreciated.

For those of you who have been curious about how clothing works I have to admit it has been very trial and error so far. Things that I thought would fit are either too small or too big and things that I never would have expected to fit end up fitting fine. I think in Olivia's case a general rule of thumb is that she fits in clothing that is one size bigger than what she would normally wear. So, right now she should be wearing 12-18 month and I'm finding 18 month and 18-24 month are fitting well while 12-18 month is too small and 2T is too big. There are always exceptions and different brands fit differently, but that's no different than before she was casted.

 I have found that dresses fit best. Shirts tend to get stuck at the top of the cast. Bodysuits are a no unless they are really big, and she's getting to the age that they don't make them in her size anymore anyway. I didn't have to change size with her bottoms. She just gets "plumber's butt" because they ride a little low.

When it comes to bibs we really like the bumkins brand. They close nice and snug at the top. We've been using the Dr. Seuss Superbibs, but I plan to purchase the Jr. Bib and maybe a Sleeved Bib. What I notice about the Jr. Bib and the Sleeved Bib is that they don't sit as snuggly at the neck as I would like, but they're worth a try. :-)

I would like to close this entry with a very special thank you to Olivia's dear friend Oscar! He sent her a nice little care package complete with designer duct tape. I'm sure she'll give him a big hug and kiss at their next play date!








No comments:

Post a Comment